I am Sister Torie Inman and I have been called of God to serve as a full-time missionary for His church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the Arizona Tucson Mission.

Monday, March 7, 2016

Sister Inman Letter - March 7, 2016

Is it MARCH already?

TIME GOES BY SO FAST. I've already been out another month almost!

Anyway, so the Restoration teaching challenge is going pretty well! It's HARD! Definitely a challenge. We have been able to teach the Restoration almost every day this week, and on the days we didn't teach the whole thing, we at least were able to teach a couple of points from it. I think that if we plan more in advance for how we will teach the restoration and when, then we will see more success and finding opportunities! :)

Tuesday, March 1st

We prayed to find somebody to teach the Restoration to, and we felt like we should try a part-member family, because the Grandma would probably be home. We hadn't been able to get in contact with them since I've been here at least, because they have all been sick. Well, we met the Grandma, and it was great! Her name is Peggy, and she is 80 years old. She is kind of sassy and has an attitude, but we taught her the whole Restoration, and I taught the First Vision again... and it was incredible. I prayed that the words would come to me and that I would remember the exact words spoken by Joseph Smith, relating his experience. And I was able to get it exactly right, sparing only a word or two. And as I recited his own words, the Spirit bore witness to me through the feelings in my heart that Joseph Smith did, in fact, see God the Father and His Son, Jesus Christ, that he really was a prophet, and that the message of the Restoration is true. After I finished, all else was quiet momentarily, which was awesome because before that, there was background noise. There were babies/toddlers playing and watching a movie, etc. But for the moment, God provided silence, and the opportunity for the Spirit to bear witness of truth. And man, it did. Peggy was quiet, but listening intently the whole time. We continued to teach and ask questions, read scriptures, etc., and the Spirit was strong. She ended up with the determination to read the Book of Mormon, and pray about it, whereas before, she didn't want to feel pressured. But at the end of the lesson she said, "Well I guess I had better read it! It's a lot better than this other crap I'm reading!" Haha :) Oh grandma. I invited her to say the closing prayer, and she gave me this stank face, like "excuse me?" attitude, but she chuckled, and said "I'll try!" So she did.

She also said that she likes me a lot. (She referred to me as "this one". "I like this one a lot", pointing to me.) She said to me, "you teach well, and the words just come out smoothly. You know what you're saying, you know what you want to say, and exactly where to turn in your Book and what you're looking for... You're well equipped. You know your stuff." Man, that was just what I needed to hear. Coming from an 80 year old woman who probably knows a lot more about life than I do, just told me that I'm doing just fine. I needed that reassurance these past couple weeks. God knows me and what I need. Tender mercy, for sure!

Wednesday, March 2nd

District meeting was super good! I actually prepared in my personal study, and got a whole bunch more out of it! It was about the Converting Power of the Book of Mormon, teaching it effectively, and helping others to gain that conversion and testimony of it. Afterwards, our district went to lunch at Kainoa's (A hawaiian restaurant, one of the few good places to eat around these parts).

Later that night, in the "11th hour" (not literally, but it felt like it) we still had to teach the restoration, and miraculously, we were able to teach the guy that locks up the building at night. We taught him when he was standing outside our car, with us sitting inside. It was definitely different than any other lesson that I've ever had, or want to have, but the Lord still answers prayers. That guy showed up right at the very moment we were praying that he would.


Friday, March 4th

Another day!

I did studies and read in the book of Mormon (as in the book after 4 Nephi). I am also currently studying 2 Nephi 9, because I found answers to a lot of questions about the Atonement in there. I'm super excited to continue to dive into it and gain further insight into the greatest event in all of human history. :) I spent almost an entire study session on 2 verses. Read it :)

We went to the gas station at night, because we needed to get gas (imagine that) and I joked that we could teach someone at the gas station the Restoration. Well, as with most jokes I've been saying lately, we did just that. We were super nervous to go contact people there, but we tried once, and it didn't really work. The guy said he had to drive home. But then the Elders showed up too to gas up there, and they pressured us into contacting a random person there. We were going to go and talk to this couple, when we hear, "Sisters!" It was Courtney, a returning member, who was also at the gas station (it's a happenin' place to be!) and she totally saved us, and we taught her the restoration. I know, we're super lame. It was a tender mercy though, really.

Sunday, March 6th

Good day!!! We had an enjoyable fast Sunday, and I bore my testimony in 2nd ward. It felt good, I haven't done that in a while, and the Spirit kept kicking me in the gut to get up there. Sister Charles was feeling the same way, so we got up at the same time haha. After church, I wanted to get pictures in front of the Gila Valley Temple, because it was right next to the church building. That was nice, I love the temple, we are so blessed to have it so close to us, even in our area. Too bad we still can't go whenever we want to. :(

Tonight we contacted a new family, and then later, a part-member family. We taught the Restoration, and it was super good! The dad, Sean, was the nonmember, and when we were done, he said "I don't doubt any of this happened. Joseph Smith, the Book of Mormon, I don't doubt it's true. I mean, prophets throughout time, they were all regular human beings with imperfections. People say, why would God appear to a 14 year old boy? I say, Why shouldn't He?" BAM. He had a couple questions about the word of wisdom though. But we set a return appointment with them, and we have a new investigator!!! :D

TODAY, March 7th

A couple miracles: We all go to Walmart for groceries. And there were three sets of missionaries there. All three sets of us, from different people there, had their groceries payed for, whether in part or in full. A lady came up to me, and handed me a $20 bill. I asked her what that was for, and she didn't really answer, so I said I couldn't take that from her, and she just smiled and said, "I have one out, too. :)" then walked away from me and I told her thank you. Man. Today is a good day.

Anywho, so I hope you all have a fantastic week, I love each and every one of you and keep you in my thoughts and prayers! :)

Love,
Sister Inman

I love to see the temple! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment