I am Sister Torie Inman and I have been called of God to serve as a full-time missionary for His church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the Arizona Tucson Mission.

Monday, November 2, 2015

Sister Inman Letter - November 2, 2015

Is it Monday already?! Week 4 (Sorry my letters are so long)

Hey all!

Wow time flies.... It's already week four. CRAZY!

So I am going to sorta go through my week as told in my journal because it is easier. :)

MONDAY: I love P-days! I can do laundry, clean, go grocery shopping, email home, and play sports with the other missionaries in my district and zone. We played Lightning first, and I got better as the game went on, but I'm still pretty.....unexperienced. It's all for fun though and everyone is nice about it. We also played dodgeball where it is you vs. everyone else. Then we played ultimate frisbee and that was fun.

TUESDAY: Well, today we got a lot done, but it didn't go exactly as we planned. It actually turned out way better! aha.We tried a lot of potentials and LA's (less actives) today (and yesterday)

Kim, the Villalobos, the Bryce's, the Wallace's, Meyer's, Maxwell's,..... a lot. Pretty successful, as we got a few return appointments! Woop woop!

Then, a MIRACLE happened. Seriously, no one expected that. We had an appointment with Josie (the one with 70 cats) and she talks a lot so we can never get a word in, but last appt. went really bad, as we asked about her neighbor who was LDS and she went on saying how if she was going to be at church then she didn't even want to go or cross paths with her, etc. Really bad. So we planned on teaching about the Atonement and Forgiveness (otherwise she wouldn't be able to progress) but then she made a couple comments and Sister Brown and I looked at each other and decided that I guess we were going to teach Lesson One. So we were able to teach the ENTIRETY of lesson one.... From "God is Our Loving Heavenly Father" to the Restoration and Joseph Smith, and I invited her to read and pray about the Book of Mormon. She said she would definitely, but she wouldn't commit to a baptism date.

Isn't that crazy? So many blessings in that lesson.

WEDNESDAY: District mtg today was awesome. Super spiritual. We talked about how if we ask God what we need to work on, the Holy Ghost will give us one thing that can help us. He will be honest with us. The focus of the meeting was on the talk "What Lack I Yet?" from Conference. It looks like you guys read it this week too!


So we did a personal ponder time, and thought about who we wanted to be, and what kind of missionary we wanted to become. I normally don't get into these, but I decided I would, and man, I'm glad I did. Beautiful experience. I cried aha.

After District meeting, President Passey came and interviewed all of us. Kind of intimidating, but it wasn't too bad. We talked about how I was doing, what I've learned about the Gospel, and what I've learned about myself. Good interview, but I still cried because I was already emotional that day haha.

One very nice thing that President said to me was: "You are very prepared, especially as a new missionary, and I could tell that from the time that I first interviewed you on the day that you got here." "You have a very calm, kept-together disposition, which adds maturity and allows others to feel they can trust you. If you are already doing this at the beginning of your mission, you are going to do great." It made me feel very good inside to know that my mission president things that I am already very prepared and that I will do really well as a missionary, that I can tackle the next year and a half of my mission. :)

THURSDAY: Today was awesome! This morning we did service at the ranch again, paving more of the road. I did a lot of shoveling rock this time and felt like a best with super strength. Not to brag or anything. (Not even close, especially when the Elders are way stronger than I am aha) I love working alongside the Elders though. They work hard, but also know how to have fun. i.e. When Elder Judy got there, he saw this little bike thingy that almost looks like a go-cart that you pedal, and he said race you to the top! and pedaled it uphill to the top of the road.

Super nice weather today, it sprinkled and we had lots of wind. Elder and Sister Phippen (senior couple) came too, as the ZL's (zone leaders) were out of miles.

Later, we taught Chyenne and Ethan (RC's/ recent converts).

Dinner!!! We ate dinner with Yvonne (who is getting baptized on SATURDAY!!!!) She made us a feast of Asian food. Soooo good. Asian ribs, chicken drumsticksin soy sauce or something, fruit, a vinegarette salad thing with just cucumbers, bell peppers, onions, rice vinegar? sugar, etc., egg rolls, chow mein noodles made in a wok, and we had this weird grape drink that was grape juice with whole skinless grapes. Good, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. Then of course, sugar cookies. I love her :)

THEN, ANOTHER MIRACLE: Anna answered her door!!!!!! She is an older mexican lady who was supposed to be baptized a while ago, but there was a big misunderstanding with the interview questions, etc. BUT we talked with her and she said she wants to be baptized as soon as she can! YAY!

FRIDAY: I'm so exhausted! Got up at 5:50ish. Drove to Benson to exchange with those sisters while the STL's (sister trainling leaders) went to MLC (mission leadership council) in Tucson. So I was in a trio for the day with Sister Daun and Sister Harrington. We did contacting and then service at a LA's(less active) home/farm. We fed and watered all of the animals. A few horses, cows, donkeys, llamas, goats, and pigs. I've discovered that cows are scary up close. But they're soft :)

SATURDAY: HALLOWEEN! I have absolutely no clothes that even look like halloween. Sad day. BUT we went with Yvonne to support her at her baptismal interview and it went well!!!!! She has been bawling tears of joy for days. I'm so proud of her. There were a couple of concerns of hers, and we said they were okay but called President to be sure, and he said that she was all good to go and that it is good that she is making sure of things first. Some people don't do that.Many miracles and blessings in this whole process.

We had another appt. with Anna and she brought her member friend who ONLY spoke Spanish. That was interesting.

The trunk or treat for Hereford ward was fun! Lots of funny and creative costumes. 3 little boys dressed as the three amigos and had awesome costumes. I'll attach a picture and video of them haha. We didn't get much candy, instead we weekly planned.

FAST SUNDAY: Awesome fast and testimony meetings today! 5 hours of church, and all of them were wonderful :) Brother Drake bore his testimony in Sierra Vista 2nd Ward. Man, his faith in unshaken. He bore an intense testimony which brought him to tears. Seriously, he could be an apostle. He fits the description perfectly. He teaches Gospel Principles and is a fantastic teacher.

Met with Chyenne, helped her with her YW (Young Women) in Excellence project about her baptism.

We ate with the Rawlings' last minute because of a change in plans. One of the things we had was... TILAPIA. FISH. (You know how much I love fish..... not) but I was so grateful to them for feeding us that night, and I decided I would eat it and be grateful, and not think about the fact that I was eating fish, and IT WASN'T BAD! It didn't taste as "fishy" as others I have had. I didn't die, and it all turned out okay. Everything tasted good. :)

That night we had another last minute lesson with Anna and we finally set a baptism date with her for November 21st :D So excited.

Well, that was my week. I'm sorry it's so long. I hope you all like to read. I just love my mission. "If ye have desires to serve God, ye are called to the work". I'm still working on memorizing the Standard of Truth and D&C 4. I had to lead it in District meeting. That was embarrassing.

I will send another email with pictures! I love you all and keep you in my prayers! Have a great week!

Love,
Sister Inman

(We're having trouble getting her photos to come over so we can't post them yet. Here is the video that did come over.)
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment