I am Sister Torie Inman and I have been called of God to serve as a full-time missionary for His church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the Arizona Tucson Mission.

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Sister Inman letter - November 30, 2015

Week 7, going on to Week 8 ...

Hey there!
So most of my emails are just what I wrote in my journal for that week, but I usually will add some commentary in addition. Sorry if it's confusing when I use the wrong tenses and you can't tell if it's past or present.
So some cool things from this week:
I am determined to learn as much Spanish as I can this transfer, because Hermana Adams is Spanish speaking, so we have an hour of language study 5/7 days a week. I can now successfully do a decent street contact in Spanish. BAM. And I finally got the name of the Church down: La Iglesia de Jesucristo de los Santos de los Ultimos Dias. Working on it :)

I love my companion. It will always be an adjustment, because people are so different, but that's not necessarily a bad thing! Hermana Adams is so sweet, she always has such nice things to say about everybody, and can laugh and enjoy life. She is from Farmington, UT, and has been out for a little over 9 months. This is her first English Area, and her last area closed, or at least they took the sisters out and didn't replenish with new missionaries. There are still Elders there, but there wasn't much work there. She is about 6'1" and plays basketball (imagine that), piano, likes making things, and more things I still need to learn about her! But she is awesome. I think it's gonna be a good transfer. :)
We have been running/walking almost every morning. It is so cold outside.... but it's good that we actually get up and try to exercise. Even though I die almost every time. Hopefully I'll get used to it... I need the exercise, considering we get fed so much every night.

My week:
Monday-
P-day (preparation), and the Zone Leaders surprised us by showing up to sports instead of hiking or going to Benson. They must love us :) They brought and gave us banana bread that Elder Judy made. :) We played chair hockey. I'm not very good at it... I can't kick a ball to save my life. Finally we played some basketball, so I was happy about that. I've come to really like it.
Tuesday- TRANSFER DAY
We met in Benson (about an hour away) at 8:45am ish and I picked up my new companion.
It's so weird to have a new companion but stay in the same area. Especially when their personalities are way different. Not better, but different from each other. I am really happy that I still have all of the rest of my district though!
Wednesday-I'm getting so FAT. Ugh :(
Anyway. So today I contacted a couple people! We went to a pie party- Where we all gather together and eat pie... lots of it.... the day before Thanksgiving, because you almost never have enough room after thanksgiving dinner! I love the idea!!!!! There were several nonmembers there, so it was a perfect finding opportunity. We got two potentials/referrals that want to meet with us! It should be great!
Thursday- Thanksgiving!
I will never eat again. I feel more stuffed than the turkey we ate today. Nope, that's it, it's almost like eating is no longer a joyful thing. I can go a week without eating and still be full.
Anyway. So we had this AMAZING dinner at 2pm (haha). We went to the Wallace's (Less Active, but becoming reactivated! So happy for them. They're such an awesome family) and they had a serious feast for us there. They invited the Sukuts as well (Part Member Family, in their 80's, but she only seems 60). I can't even remember everything they had there. 3 different kinds of meat. Well, 2 turkeys, one baked and the other fried, and then one ham. Stuffing, mashed potatoes, super good baked beans, green bean casserole, rolls, jello/whipped cream thing, yams (which were actually really good! I know Dad doesn't like them, but... they were really good)... and pies. And probably more things, but I can't remember. I didn't want to fill up too much, because we had another dinner at 3pm, but I wish I did. Our 2nd dinner was with the Gonzales' (Ward Mission Leader) and it was really nice! They had the traditional Turkey, casserole, cranberry sauce, rolls, stuffing, etc. and then pumpkin pie. It was really nice! And they invited a family from the ward. We had a nice discussion about various things.
Then we went and tried a couple people. We got to see Anna! After forever! And she told us her concerns. She opened up to us. So we are keeping her in our prayers, and trying to see what would be best for her, and how to help her have the faith to be baptized again.
Then we went over to the Holden's (next door neighbors) who gave us leftovers. 3 different kinds of potatoes, casserole, rolls, pie, turkey....
I will never eat again.
Friday-
We walked and ran this morning, and it was SUPER WINDY and COLD! We ran downhill, then tried to power walk it uphill... But the wind was so strong and pushed directly against us, so it was really hard. I felt like I was going to die.
We tried a couple of Less Actives with no luck. Then some potentials with little luck. But we contacted a man on the street and He basically explained his beliefs to us, which encompassed most of lesson 1 and part of lesson 3! Firm belief in Jesus Christ, and said he appreciates when people like us go around and share that knowledge with others. We asked if he would be interested in learning more about Jesus Christ, and he paused, and said "Well how would I go about doing that?" Golden, right? So we said we could come over and talk with him, and he said well... how about I just read my Bible, we are pretty active in our church. We're all Christians!
Darn. We probably should have pursued that a little better.
Saturday-
I'm learning Spanish! I'm getting better and it makes me happy. We read a chapter a day in El Libro de Mormon (Spanish Book of Mormon) and it's exciting because I can understand most of it! It also helps that I have read the English one a couple times. But I am going to start setting weekly Spanish goals with my companion. Anyway. I was kind of in a "meh" mood today. I am trying to be a good missionary, but this week has been rough adjusting. I've been more frustrated, and more emotional, but it's not always going to be sunshine and daisies all the time! It's part of life. I guess I just got spoiled with not having too many down moments the first part of my mission.
I prayed about what Christ-like Attribute I could work on this transfer, and I haven't gotten a clear answer, but I have had a few thoughts about diligence. So, I have decided that God wants me to work on Diligence. It will be good for me.
Sunday-
Sunday was really good! The talks were mostly on gratitude, and it was great! I learned from each one of them. Hermana Adams got to meet some people today. We had ward council in Hereford ward. I am super stoked for the Christmas parties coming up! (We get to go to TWO!) And they are sharing decorations, so the theme is "A Cowboy Christmas" and there will be brisket and chicken and other awesome stuff.... Like... a legitimate cowboy feast. And then pulled pork or something for the other ward. So excited :) We have been inviting lots of people to it, so hopefully it will turn out to have been a great missionary tool.
Today was Elder Whittle's 20th birthday. So for end of the week/month calls tonight we sang to him and it sounded awful.
So that was my week! I will try to attach/send pictures. I love my area and my district. I love this gospel. I love my mission. I love the people here. I love the Book of Mormon with all of my heart. Read it! If you can gain a solid testimony of the Book of Mormon, a testimony of everything else will come! Because if you know the Book of Mormon is true, you can know that Joseph Smith and all of his successors are true prophets, who receive continued revelation for all of God's children.
Happy Birthday Dom! You're getting so OLD.
Have a great week! I love you all and keep you in my prayers!
Love,
Sister Inman
 
Yo y mi companera, Hermana Adams

Inline image 3
Hard to see, but our Christmas decor.
Inline image 2
The Everett's made a fairy garden..... Pretty legit, I must say. They said that if they like the door, then they will make it their home. At night the blue rocks turn into water, and they built this nice little yard for themselves.
Inline image 1
Elder Judy...

No comments:

Post a Comment